We are excited to announce that Mount Rushmore’s Renovation and Paver Project is 93% complete. This means that all buildings and walkways should be accessible by June 18! Currently, the Information Center and the Self-Guided Tour Building are closed due to construction, but this will change by mid-June.
The project improved the walking surface up to the Grand View Terrace, widened the Avenue of Flags and renovated the Lincoln Borglum Visitor Center by adding brand new elevators, rebuilding the bathrooms and waterproofing the building.
In preparation for a busy season as people begin traveling again, the National Park Service has planned for the following.
2021 Park Activities
- Lincoln Borglum Visitor Center is currently open 8 am – 5 pm. Hours will expand to 8 am – 10 pm on May 28.
- Thirty-minute ranger talks are being given in the Lincoln Borglum Visitor Center at 10 am, 1 pm and 3 pm.
- The Information Center Bookstore and the Mount Rushmore Self-Guided Tour Building will open after the construction concludes on June 18.
- The Evening Lighting Ceremony will begin at 9 pm from May 28 to August 14. Then, it will move to 8 pm from August 15 to September 30.
- The Sculptor’s Studio will open May 28 from 8 am – 8 pm. Fifteen-minute talks will be held at the hour and at the half hour.
- Other ranger-conducted activities will be advertised near the Information Center and at the front desk of the Lincoln Borglum Visitor Center.
The National Park Service is implementing the following COVID protocols:
- Encouraging visitation before 9 am or after 4 pm.
- Masks are required in the park.
- A ranger tent will be set up outside the Information Center for visitor information regarding the Black Hills area and park information.
- The movie shown daily in the Lincoln Borglum Visitor Center will run every 10 minutes at half capacity.
- More Sculptor’s Studio talks have been scheduled to spread out attendance.
- Social Distancing opportunities will be put in place for the Evening Lighting Ceremony, such as audio for the program broadcasted over the PA system.
- Cleaning regimen is in place.